Monica LaVold is the new youth services librarian in River Falls. What she learned this summer is something that everyone needs of a reminder of, in the midst of all the programs and logistics and performers and wild-craziness. Here's what she says:
"My main observation
is that one of the most important thing we do is simply to be present. By
"present" I guess I mean more than simply sitting at my desk in the
children's area. I have had both parents and children actually stop me and
comment that it is so wonderful that I make an attempt to learn names and make connections
with the kids. I have SO much to learn, particularly with programs and story
times and putting together successful events, but I think I would call my first
summer a success - mostly because I tried to be present, enthusiastic, and
passionate about the library and the kids that I can reach."
No matter how your programs went, hopefully you all had some great opportunities to connect with kids, teens, and families this summer!

Monica has the secret. Summer needs to fun for kids and staff. Too many widgets, too many requirements and everybody burns out. I love her commitment to being "present". It's key!
ReplyDeleteI love learning new things especially from a newbie. *waving HI to Monica*
ReplyDeleteThank you for this reminder. I needed it.