Friday, October 17, 2008

Brain Food!

Brain Food – I’m talking intellectual brain food - the concept of feeding your brain good ideas, having your brain in the right environment and being around people that can help nourish your mind – is a concept in which I’ve been very interested. In fact, I’ve been thinking about writing about it for a while now, but ironically, when I’ve needed it most, it seems to have eluded me. I’m curious as to how people come up with great ideas, new ideas or the perfect solution.


Currently my library system is going through one of the worst budget years ever. And it’s not the first year, but definitely one of the worst that I remember. When faced with the same problems, but with fewer resources, I need a vast quantity of ‘brain food.’ Yet the problems and issues can be so huge at times they can almost be paralyzing.


Finally it struck me that a good dose of brain food isn’t too far away – Friday, October 17, is the last day for advanced registration to the WLA Annual Conference. If you haven’t already registered, quickly do so. I’m looking forward to the chance to get out of the office and leave behind all the little details and focus on some bigger picture issues, talk with colleagues, and hear some inspirational speakers. Check out what YSS has planned on the YSS blog http://yssevents.blogspot.com/ or the list of YSS sponsored sessions at the end of this message.


Just knowing that I have the opportunity to get some brain food at the conference has renewed me enough to get this message out to you. I look forward to seeing you there and sharing some brain food with you.


Kelly Hughbanks

2008 YSS Chair

No comments: