Wednesday, January 25, 2012

To Journal or Not To Journal


Our guest post today is from Terry Ehle, YSS member and Youth Services Coordinator at Lester Public Library in Two Rivers, WI. You can chat more with her at tehle@mcls.lib.wi.us

It’s the end of the month, when I once again ask myself do I really have time to read my review journals cover to cover or can I get away with skimming the reviews promising to get back to the meat when I have more time…HA! Knowing that more time is a pipe dream I sat down with my December issue of VOYA and was once again reminded what a valuable resource it is.

In December’s Get With the Program section, Shari Fesko shared some great blogs and websites for programming ideas. The one I liked the best was from Brandon Hines, a YA librarian at the Hays Public Library in Kansas called Young Adult Activities.  On his site I found a video on how to do an Angry Birds Live program. So easy, so cheap and so much fun. 

After watching the video on Brandon’s blog, we hosted our own angry birds program and it was a HUGE success – 53 people HUGE. The video tells you all you need to make the birds and pigs. At first I thought I needed only red or green yarn to make the pigs and birds but I found the kids were happy with any color yarn I had. Once they are made, build towers out of Dixie cups and launch the birds at them. One thing I would do differently? I would set up some premade obstacles for the kids and their birds.

This program was a part of our new after school drop-in series for families of all ages from 3:30-5:30. While older kids often come on their own, younger children are encouraged to bring their parents and do. I’ve already been asked when the Angry Birds will be back. Thanks VOYA, for another great idea!

Find pictures from our Angry Birds Program here  in the January 2012 set.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Your poster is way better than any we created for our events. -Brandon