Saturday, January 14, 2012

Why Due We Do This?

One of the things I love most about professional associations - like WLA!; like ALA!; like PLA! - is that they bring together under one umbrella, like-minded librarians with diverse skill sets.  I don't have to know how to do everything but I can tap into the skills of my colleagues and learn all kinds of exciting things.

I don't find the dues fun or easy to find the money for but I know by paying these dues, I am promoting and supporting  librarians and the work they do in disseminating information, best practices, lobbying legislators to keep libraries strong and maintain access to information no matter how large or small the library. I know that my dues support continuing education and a strong infra-structure that helps us connect to one another and accomplish much more together than we could individually accomplish at each library location. They support blogs like this one and the ALSC blog that work to keep youth librarians plugged into vital information; fun facts and programming and booklist know-how.

So if you are not a member of WLA or YSS or ALA or ALSC, I invite you and encourage you to join and support libraries. You have little to lose and everything to gain.


No comments: