Friday, March 18, 2016

Meet the Board: Ashley Thiem-Menning, Director at Large


Ashley is the Programming Librarian at Kaukauna Public Library and is one of four Directors at Large serving on the YSS 2016 Board. Here are some of her questions and answers:

What are you reading right now?

I just finished reading Little Bee by Chris Cleave.  It was incredibly haunting and I would highly recommend it.

In what format do you like to read? EBooks? Print? Graphic Novel? Audiobook?

I love listening to audiobooks because I have two small children and spend most of my reading time reading to them.  Overdrive audio is great for my commute and helps me keep up on my own reading.

What’s your method for getting distracted kids (of any age) back on track during a program?

Singing is the best way to get distracted kids to focus, but mostly distracted talking adults back on track at storytime.

If you could have any author for your best friend, who would you choose and why?

Stephen Colbert and I know that he isn't an author of substance (I'm sorry, Stephen), but he is fun and likes to dance so why not!

Share an awesome library moment with us.

I was once reading Froggy Gets Dressed with a young, male AmeriCorps volunteer in a church basement childcare facility to three to five year olds.  I had just finished the part where Froggy forgot to put on his underwear.  A three year old boy enthusiastically stood up and said loudly, "Boys wear underwear to keep their (male anatomy) warm."  I thought my AmeriCorps volunteer was going to fall off his chair.  He was struggling pretty hard to keep it together, but professional that I am, I acknowledged the boy and continued to read like this happens everyday.

No comments: