Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Meet the Board: Leah Langby, YSS Chair


Leah Langby is this year's chair and she is also the Library Development and Youth Services Coordinator for the Indianhead Federated Library System.
 
 
Tell us a little bit about who you are and your connection to libraries and the YSS Board.  I work for the IFLS, the library system that serves 10 counties in west-central Wisconsin.  I help libraries make sure they have the resources they need serve youth, underserved populations, and, well, everyone!  I am currently the YSS chair and I am honored to be working with an incredible board, serving amazing, committed librarians across the state.
 
Where do you get inspiration for your work?  I have a deep passion for and belief in libraries and their potential to make the world a better place.  I’m inspired by the culture of sharing and goodwill that librarians have with each other, and by the good work we are all doing every day!  And ultimately, I’m inspired by the communities and families we serve.
 
If you could have any author for your best friend, who would you choose and why?  Naomi Shihab Nye.  Whenever I read her poems or essays, or hear her speak or be interviewed, I feel like she is someone I want to know and take walks with and have over for dinner.
 
What’s your favorite kind of sandwich?  Anything with fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes.  I even eat peanut butter and tomato sandwiches during tomato season, or like Harriet M. Welch, tomato sandwiches with no other ingredients.
 
How many nursery rhymes do you know by heart?  Just about all of them in  both of the books by Iona Opie, illustrated by Rosemary Wells.  They are part of our family culture!
 
What’s your favorite story to tell?  The Gunniwolf, with a wolf puppet who looks quite a bit like Jack Nicholson, except shabbier now that he’s gone through the washer and dryer.

No comments: