Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Meet the Board: Emily Heideman, Member at Large

It's always a pleasure to get to know new board members and we like to give you a chance to get to know them, too, so that you can say hello if you see them at a conference like WAPL (coming up before we know it) or WLA (in the Dells next Fall).

Today, we're featuring Member at Large, Emily Heideman.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I am the Teen Services Librarian at the Waupaca Area Public Library. I enjoy reading, outdoor activities, and spending time with my family and fur-babies. My husband and I recently welcomed our first little one this past August.

What’s your favorite thing to eat while reading?
Dark chocolate or hot cocoa with whipped topping

What is your favorite genre? Which genre would you choose to go outside your comfort zone?
I’d have to say that my favorite genre is probably fairytales…more specifically, fractured fairytales, or retellings. Gregory Maguire has been a longtime favorite author of mine because of the amazing things he does with fairytales. I do also really love nonfiction.

What was your favorite book or story as a child?
Mr. Popper’s Penguins. My parents used to read it to my siblings and me at bedtime.

How do you break the ice with teen patrons?
I usually chat them up. I try to find out what interests them and ask genuine questions about their interests. It’s always exciting when teens come back and tell me about the new Yu-Gi-Oh card they traded for or what trophy they unlocked on PS3. Not only does this help them warm up to me, but it also helps me get to know the things teens are into. I know way more about role-playing card games now than I ever imagined I would ever know.

Meet the Board in Person

It's also nice to know who your elected representatives are on the YSS Board because they are just like you and me. If you'd like to meet them in person, you're invited to the YSS Member Retreat:

Friday, January 27 1:30-4:00 PM
Waupaca Area Library
107 S. Main Street
Waupaca, WI 54981
Cost: Free!

During this time, YSS members are invited to come meet the board, to discuss YSS plans for the year and to connect with other YSS members. The board in turn would like to give members an overview of the resources available through YSS and to hear from you, the members, as to how YSS can best support you throughout the year.

Follow this link to register: http://bit.ly/2hVMEWq

Please plan to bring an informal book talk about a youth book you are currently reading or crazy about!

Have a colleague that isn't a member yet? Invite them along and they can see what YSS is all about!

No comments: