Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Meet Your Board: Leah Langby, Past-chair and Sarah Cournoyer, Chair-elect

Leah Langby, Past-chair

Here's what Leah had to share with you:
 
Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I love my job working with amazing librarians in west-central Wisconsin, and have really enjoyed having a chance to spend time on the YSS board working with some of the most dedicated, witty, and visionary folks I can imagine.  When I’m not at work, I am attempting to help keep our ramshackle farmhouse and acreage from falling in around our ears; finishing off educating my daughter (senior!) at home; snuggling cats; cooking; occasionally playing music; spending time with family.  Trying to figure out some sustainable and good ways to direct my energy to make the world better and safer is going to be taking more of my attention in the coming months and years.
 
What’s your favorite thing to eat while reading?
LUNCH! My lunch break is one of the most consistent times that I take ½ hour to read.
 
If you could have any book character as a best friend, who would you choose and why?
Well, I don’t know if we’d be besties, but I’d really like to spend some time with Yorsh (The Last Dragon).  Also Gratuity/Tip and J-Lo (from The True Meaning of Smek Day).  And no one can be a friend quite like Pooh can.  All of them are funny, insightful, brave, kind, and would give me a different perspective on life if I could talk to them in person.
 
Which book(s) have your read and re-read and read again?
Winnie The Pooh.  Iona Opie’s Mother Goose books (illustrated by Rosemary Wells).  To Kill a Mockingbird (haven’t read in quite a while, but I read every time I was sick as a kid).  Any book by Jane Austen (these are my comfort books as an adult).  All the Harry Potter books, read by Jim Dale, are like a sound track for my life (thanks to family members).
 
What’s your go-to storytime song?
I was always partial to Shake My Sillies Out (Raffi)
 
 and then Sarah had this to share:
Sarah Cournoyer, Chair-elect
 
Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I’ve been a librarian since 2012 after finding my way into the profession through a learning garden project at my local library. It’s a phenomenal fit for my curiosity, love of reading, drive to empower others, and customer service skills. I had over 100 things I wanted to be when I grew up and the best thing is that being a youth services librarian includes so many of those things!

How did you get involved with WLA and the Youth Services Section?
First, I volunteered for creating a month of the Early Literacy Calendar. Then I volunteered to write for the YSS blog. The next thing I knew I accepted a nomination for Chair-elect. I’m very thankful for these opportunities because they’ve enhanced my growth AND most importantly, I’ve met phenomenal people who inspire me and make up a growing network of trusted colleagues.

What’s your favorite thing to eat while reading?
Things that won’t smudge or stain the pages.

How would you define your library programming style?
Good question. I’d say my programming style is flexible. I plan, organize, and prep, but like to leave it open-ended and creative as much as possible.

What is the last series that you read with your eyes and/or your ears?
The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, the Ranger’s Apprentice series by John Flanagan, and then the Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix.

What is your favorite genre? Which genre would you choose to go outside your comfort zone?
I have many favorite genres, but especially fantasy adventure and historical novels. Reading graphic novels is where I push myself beyond my comfort zone.

What was your favorite book or story as a child?
It was my mother’s childhood copy of The Golden Book of Fairytales and it was the first book I learned to read.

What’s your method for getting distracted kids (of any age) back on track during a program?
Shaking things, like shaker eggs in Storytime or snacks in a school-age program, seems to get their attention as does a simple, “OK folks…..”

Where do you get inspiration for your work?
For me, the question isn’t so much where I get inspiration as it is how do I organize it, implement it, and fit it all in. If anyone has helpful tips about this, please share!

Which author, living or dead, would you most like to have over for dinner?
I’d really like to have Lauren Myracle to dinner. She seems down to earth, fascinating and fun from the interviews I’ve seen. The other person I’d have over would be Stephanie Pearl McPhee aka The Yarn Harlot because what is not to love about knitting humor and if she was coming, then I’d definitely have to invite Erma Bombeck, too.

Which book(s) have you read and re-read and read again?
As a child, it was Little Women, The Great Brain, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings. As a teen, it was the Earth’s Children series by Jean Auel, Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles, and the Betty Crocker Cookbook. As a mother, Goodnight Moon; Alpha and the Dirty Baby; Soap, Soap, Don’t Forget the Soap; Mrs. PiggleWiggle, Junie B. Jones, Ramona, and The Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley.

No comments: