Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Passive Programming for Little Ones

Pixabay
ALSC blog is a wonderful resource for all aspects of children's services, especially programming. One post recently caught my attention because it focused on passive programming for toddlers and preschoolers. I had been searching for ideas to freshen up my offerings for that age group. I also had an eye out for ideas that weren't too staff intensive

Guest blogger Natalie Braham of the Denver Public Library detailed her branch's experience with their early literacy passive program in the post "Passive programming and early literacy: designing creative spaces for young learners".  The staff wanted to add play opportunities, especially in the colder months, but did not want to use staff to monitor the room. Caregivers were required to be in the room. They also struggled with finding toys that would work for ages 6 months to 5 years old. I have also experience this program in my search for toys for in-library use.

Their program is up and running and they are looking to expand it.  I'm excited to try something like this at my library. How have you incorporated play into your programming?


No comments: