Saturday, September 9, 2017

YSS Ballot Candidates: Vice-Chair/Chair Elect

Check out who is running for YSS Vice-Chair/Chair Elect!


Katie Kiekhaefer:  When I started my career as a children’s librarian ten years ago at a small library, I relied heavily on the support of children’s librarians in the state and the professional development opportunities provided through the work of YSS.  Attending YSS-sponsored presentations at WLA and YSS Powerhouse webinars taught me new skills that I could bring to my library and opened my eyes to the wonderful work being done by children’s librarians in the state, and I have also been lucky enough to present at WLA and as part of webinars because of YSS.  

      I believe it’s time for me to give back to YSS, and I believe my 10 years of experience in youth services will serve me well as chair-elect of YSS.  Having worked in small libraries and in rural communities at the beginning of my career, I would bring a unique perspective to the YSS board.  Most recently, I’ve served as co-chair of the Youth Services Committee of the Milwaukee County Federated Library System, where I worked with my co-chair to run meetings, schedule professional development opportunities, and foster a sense of community among youth services staff.  It would be an honor to be chair-elect of YSS, and I am thankful for the opportunity to run.



Two truths and a lie about Katie:

I'm a huge sports fan and have been active in a fantasy football league for the last 8 years.

When I'm not reading children's and YA lit, I love to read non-fiction.
I once applied for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame librarian job.


Dawn Wacek:  I am the Youth Services Manager at the La Crosse Public Library.  Prior to this, I worked for 12 years in youth services and managerial roles in libraries in South Carolina and Wisconsin.  My passions are improving access through the abolition of fines, and improving customer service--in particular to children and teens in the library.
       I'd love to serve as your YSS Chair Elect, because I think the YSS team has done so much to move the profession forward, to welcome new librarians to Wisconsin, and to help educate and illuminate new ideas in librarianship.  I have some experience working in the divisions and sections as both a former YSS Director at Large and the current Past Chair of WAPL.  I feel statewide service is an intricate part of both improving my own professional skills and network and also giving back and helping to lift up and connect other librarians so that we make Wisconsin librarianship stronger together.

Two truths and a lie about Dawn:
I started my path to librarianship when I couldn't get a job in my local library because they required an advanced degree--I was shocked!
I'm a vegetarian who eats bacon.   A BAD vegetarian.
I once peed on a bat.




No comments: