Saturday, January 20, 2018

Meet the Board: Katie Kiekhaefer, Chair-Elect

It's a new year and we have a new YSS Board!  This series will introduce each board member with some delightful questions and even more delightful photos.

Katie Kiekhaefer, Chair-Elect 

What was your favorite childhood book?
My favorite childhood book is still my favorite book: The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.  Every time I re-read it I find something new to love about it.  I also loved Richard Scarry, and I remember identifying strongly with Ramona Quimby (and still do!)  I also think the Sideways Stories books by Louis Sachar were a huge influence on my sense of humor as a child.

In what format do you like to read? EBooks? Print? Graphic Novel? Audiobook?
I definitely prefer a print book or a graphic novel, but I did just get a new Kindle Fire over the holidays so maybe that will convert me to eBooks!

What do you like to do in your free time to recharge?
I live in Milwaukee so exploring the city is one of my favorite ways to recharge.  I also really enjoy music and I try to attend concerts often.  Cooking is also a passion, so paging through recipe books and trying new dishes makes me feel very happy.  I will always be up for re-watching episodes of Great British Bake-Off.

What are you reading right now?
I'm currently preparing for Milwaukee County Federated Library System's annual Mock Newbery and Caldecott event so that's dominating my "to-read" pile.

What is your biggest goal for YSS in 2018?
As Chair Elect, my main goal is to absorb all the wisdom around me so I can be prepared to be a great Chair in 2019!  I would also love to do what I can to get more YSS members involved in presenting at conferences, since that was how I first discovered the greatness of YSS and got a idea of leadership opportunities in our state.

Anything else you’d like to share?
I'm grateful for the opportunity to be involved in such a strong group of amazing professionals.  Thank you!

Contact Katie: kiekhaefer@gmail.com
 

No comments: