Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Hello from A New Blog Host!

Hello everyone! My name is Emily Zorea and I am the Youth Services Librarian at Brewer Public Library in Richland Center! I am one of your newest blog hosts, and you can expect posts from me on Wednesdays. I am honored to be joining my YSS colleagues! I currently author the blog, "Sowing Seeds Librarian" where I provide lesson plans for library programs our library has offered. Our library has a service population of 15,000 and a very small programming budget, so I try to budget all programs to cost $0.30 a child, and usually much less. 


I just wanted to begin my posts by sharing a tremendous resource that has helped us promote our library programs and services in a greater way through graphic design. Canva.com allows users with limited graphic design experience to create a multitude of graphics including Social media posts and event covers, presentations, flyers, infographics, and Pintrest posts, to name a few. 



I regularly utilize their service to create graphics to advertise library programs, and it has made a difference in showing a professional image to our community while helping us get the word out there about what our library is offering.  There are thousands of templates available, which quickly allow you to choose the design you are looking for, and then begin editing. You are able to upload your own graphics, including your library’s logos, which help brand your content.

You can join Canva for free and begin creating content right away, but many features are reserved for paying customers under the "Canva-for-Work Plan". However, the good news is that Canva offers memberships for non-profits, giving organizations like public libraries access to these features for free. Check out Canva for Nonprofits to learn more. 

Below are several graphics I created for youth services programs at our library. I hope you are able to check out Canva and begin using their services to help promote your library in your community! 



No comments: