Wednesday, June 12, 2019

#BookaDay Challege

Looking back, nothing caused me to care more about reading that being a reading teacher and school librarian for the past year. In the public library, I loved my families and parents who came in to pick up resources, but I never could predict when I would see any particular family or child again.

Now that I am in a school, I know when I will see each child, and I can begin to read books they prefer so I can give them titles I know they will love. This caused me to make reading a priority, and I began a pace of finishing 1-2 books each week for the past 9 months, even though I was a first-year teacher and in graduate school full time (just a little busy). :)

Summer can be tough. In the public library world, summer is your "tax season". By far, it is the busiest and craziest part of the year. But, I believe that if we serve children in libraries, we need to model making reading a priority all year, even during our busy times as adults. If we are doing it, it sets the expectation that they can do it too. 

For the staff at my school, I offered a #BookaDay reading challenge. The guidelines are simple: 

- Read one book on average each day of summer (So, if you take 3 days to finish a longer book and then read two picture books, you are still on track.)
- Any book qualifies, from picture books to audio books to professional reading, 
- Keep a list of books you have read in any way you like (Goodreads, notebook, photo journal, etc.) 

Although this was a challenge for teachers and staff in my school, I would love my public library colleagues to join us. Can you challenge yourself to read a book a day this summer? Reading is always more fun when we do it together. You can follow me on Goodreads if you like to keep me accountable. I would love to also follow you. :) Happy reading, my library friends! 

No comments: