Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Interactive Hocus Pocus!

Looking for a fun, easy program to celebrate the spooky season?

Why not try your hand at an interactive movie?  (Think Rocky Horror midnight show, but family-friendly.)
Image result for rocky horror gif

A few weeks ago, we held a Hex-a-Long: Interactive Hocus Pocus program at our library!

The program itself was relatively low-cost and low-maintenance.  The most labor-intensive part was deciding on the interactive elements and choosing my bewitching snacks!

I decided that we'd have spooky chocolate covered pretzels, popcorn, candy, and Witch's Brew Punch. (ginger ale + limeade + citrus sherbert = YUM)

I also found some super cute little inflatable brooms and sticky cats on Oriental Trading, so all the witches and warlocks in attendance could fly home with their very own souvenirs.

On the day of the program, I made sure each attendee had a cheat sheet to peek at during the movie and went over each of the prompts and their corresponding responses.  Additionally, I printed off the actions, taped them to the wall, and used my handy dandy pointer (and verbal cues!) to help instruct them along the way.



Once the movie began, the program basically ran itself!  Participants were encouraged to dance, sing, and quote along to their heart's content...  (I know I did!)





Needless to say, this program was such a blast and I definitely plan to repeat it in the coming years!  If anyone is interested in the cheat sheet, wall prompts, or official recipe for the Witch's Brew, send me an email and I'd be happy to share! aramkids @ aramlibrary.org


Happy fall, y'all!  


2 comments:

Ryan said...

How did you get screening rights at low-cost?

Katherine Schoofs said...

Hi Ryan,

Hocus Pocus is covered under our movie license, so I was able to screen it without any additional cost (beyond the general yearly license)

Thanks!
Katherine