Thursday, April 15, 2021

Throw It Thursday (Not!) - Programming and Interactive Movie Kits

Ashley Borman, Technical Services Librarian at the Clintonville (WI) Public Library is back with her monthly column but she is changing things up today to share an innovative programming idea .

This month, I am taking a pause from my weeding posts to tell you about this great resource for some fun movie programming. Many of us are still trying to figure out what our summer programming will look like. Some of us are back to regular programming, others may be doing a hybrid of virtual and outdoor events, while the rest plan to stay fully virtual this summer. If your library is not doing in-person programming, or is doing a hybrid of in-person and virtual/take-home programming this summer and you are looking for some take home ideas, try interactive movie kits (or you could even use this model to make your own interactive storytime kits).

Regardless of what your current plans are, I want to share with you a Google Doc I found that has been invaluable to me these past several months. In an effort to find something we could prepare into a take home kit from our library, I started thinking about things we could do that kids/families could enjoy at home that would be feasible for us to put together. We were already doing crafting kits, but I wanted something for people who do not particularly enjoy crafting. Then I thought about all the libraries that used to have interactive movies at the library and thought, “We could make that into some kind of take home activity!”

Of course, I was not the first one to think of this, and when I started searching for ideas and scripts other libraries may have posted online, I found this AMAZING Google Doc This document includes links to a large number of interactive movie scripts for in library and curbside use. And every time I go back and look, more have been added. I have tweaked so many of these for our library (usually small tweaks to the items included in the kits based on what we have available and what we can find to purchase) and our patrons seem to enjoy them. I usually prep two new ones each month, one live-action film and one animated film. I re-advertise which ones are still available each month (we usually keep older ones in rotation if they are popular and we still have enough supplies for them). For the month of April, we have 7-8 kits to choose from.

Two of the current interactive movie take-home kits
available from the Clintonville Public Library.

P.S. They also have a link in this doc to a resource list for escape rooms! Happy programming and good luck with what’s left of your summer prep!

 Resource

List of Interactive Movie Experience Scripts. Curated by Sarah Pearson, Minerva Public Library Youth Services. Contact information available in document. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KnKIGNHwCczQaR5m0LrKd0QfTNo00I5NCBpIHz30hHk/edit?fbclid=IwAR2HTF1DGVplWHCsUtgt_yx_cqn3xJ2dJemiFgZo5RJCD1A8pnYMFgjcBQY

No comments: