Thursday, October 14, 2021

Just Wondering - How Do We Balance Technology?

This post by Manitowoc (WI) Public Library Youth Librarian and YSS Board Member Susie Menk explores questions about how we weed during a pandemic. And she's wondering....what do you think? 

Technology is so much a part of our society today that sometimes we don’t realize how often we depend on it.  We have smart phones, tablets, laptops and PCs.  We use computers to check out books, buy groceries, buy items online and keep ourselves entertained.  In the last year and a half, not only has our society looked to technology for keeping in contact but children are learning to use electronic devices on a much larger scale than ever before.  Classrooms flipped from in-person to virtual.  Libraries offer stations with iPads and AWE computers.  We have Launchpads (tablets with pre-loaded apps) and video games for checkout now.  

But is all this technology helping children or harming them?  Are these devices and apps getting them to read or expanding the titles that they have access to? Or is it stopping them from reading and making them have screen burnout?  Should libraries be offering all these options for technology or should we stick to the basics of printed books?

I am not bashing technology by any means.  I use technology every day and am so very grateful for Zoom and Google Duo during this pandemic.  My devices allowed me to keep in contact with my friends and family during the recent isolations due to the pandemic.  Libby is my most used app because I love the ability to store my books on my devices and it allows me to read with a large font (which my kids always tease me about!)

I have done storytimes using apps.  My favorite book related app is “Don’t Let the Pigeon Run this App!”.  I love going into school classrooms and showing students how to do research using our digital resources like BadgerLink and NoveList.  We offer robotics and coding classes to area Scout groups.  Believe me, I see many benefits to technology and equal access for all.  I just wonder if the devices are good for kids.  When we look at child development, we talk about kids needing experience and interaction with the world around them.  Does technology allow them those experiences and interactions or does it give kids a distorted view?  

Are we, as libraries, offering a good balance between technology and the printed word?  What does your library offer?  Are you happy with what you offer?  Would you change it if you could?  


No comments: