Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Adapted Books and Sign Language

Kristine Millard is working on her MLIS at UW-Madison as well as managing a lab that studies early language development in toddlers with autism. Periodically, she shares resources relating to developmental disabilities that you might find useful.

In September, the http://wfdeaf.org/iwdeaf2022/ hosts various events to build awareness and acceptance. Like me, you may occasionally insert sign language into fingerplays, and other elements of storytime while wanting to know more about this language and how to truly communicate with it. If your library subscribes to Transparent Language, you already have a tool at your fingertips to help with this. 


While you work toward fluency, you can still share Sign Language in your storytimes. My favorite book to use with signing is Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You See? By Bill Martin, Jr. and illustrated by Eric Carle. 


I printed these notes and made an adapted book with the signs taped right on the pages. Do remember you will need multiple copies so you can repeat each animal. To save myself from having to fit the refrains, “What do you see?,” and “I see a …,” into each page, I made fold-out flaps attached to the front and back covers of my book.


For those of you who are advanced signers, or want more authenticity, I suggest using this video from the Marie Katzenbach School for the Deaf.





No comments: