Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Meet Your 2023 YSS Board Candidates - Directors-at-Large

WLA elections are coming up and YSS has a strong slate of wonderful candidate-members for our YSS board. Today we introduce our candidates for the two year position of Director-at-Large. There are six candidates for two open positions. Watch for your ballot in the next month or so. And don't forget to vote!!

Andrea BisordiHead of Youth Services, Delafield Public Library

Hi everyone, I’m Andrea. I have worked in libraries for four years now, currently as the Head of Youth Services at the Delafield Public Library. I shifted from the world of education into the world of information professionals a few years back and have taught various subjects in several different environments. While I bring a lot of knowledge from my time teaching, I’ve been supported and helped in the transition to library land by all the amazing librarians in Wisconsin who are willing to share their experiences and expertise. Having a strong state organization is important, and I would like to give back and be a part of keeping it successful.


Brittany Fahrenkamp (she/her), Youth Services/Programming, Hazel Mackin Community Library, Roberts WI

My name is Brittany Fahrenkamp and I have served as the youth services librarian at the Roberts Public Library since 2015. I have a masters in library and information science and a bachelor’s in elementary education. I have experience sitting on organization boards from my time in my local county’s 4-H program and my time as an Interim 4-H program coordinator for Blue Earth County in Minnesota.  I’m excited about the opportunity to get to know members of our YSS community better and to be more involved in YSS projects.  



Jenna GillesChippewa Falls Public Library

 

I have worked in Youth Services since 2009.The keys to my programming philosophy include community and relationship building, positive connections with the self, others, and our surroundings, and helping youth and families develop a positive sense of self-worth and growth. While presenting on panels during webinars and WLA, I have had opportunities to chat with library staff from around the state. I am inspired by the opportunities that library staff offer to engage and transform communities. In addition to the communities in which we work, our community of librarians has given so much to me as well (thanks for letting me steal/adapt all those ideas!). At a time when a growing number of loud groups and individuals want to dictate the resources and services we can provide for our communities, I encourage us to be louder and stronger. YSS serves as a resource to strengthen ourselves as well as offering supports to reflect, rest, and enrich the silliness in our lives. If elected, I look forward to brainstorming ways to support library staff who are often unable to meet in person. I value the collaboration that is already strong in our profession. I want to look for ways to transform and enliven professional development and how we advocate for ourselves. There is much to learn and I am here for it. In addition to libraries, I also love my cats (Sandwich and Chamomile), my teenager, Star Wars, Stranger Things, and fantasy/SciFi. When not at the library, I venture out for live music, the North Shore, Asian dumplings, and the many green or rocky spaces around Wisconsin.   


Michelle Johnson, Library Director, Hammond Community Library

Hello, my name is Michelle Johnson, a new member to WLA as of 2022.  I have been a library director for the past 25 + years and love my job at the Hammond Community Library located in Hammond, WI.  Hammond is a small rural town located about 20 minutes from some larger communities.  The Hammond Community Library is part of a shared library consortium (MORE) and part of the IFLS library system.  I have become more involved, at our system level, and expanding my involvement outside of our system as well.  By being more involved it helps me become a better leader/director at our library and for our community.  It broadens my knowledge and strengthens my commitment to building a better library for years to come.  As Director at Large it would be wonderful to be a part of the Youth Services and to network with others and work to build learning opportunities in youth services. 


Jeanette RydbergYouth & Adult Services  Thomas St. Angelo Public Library, Cumberland

After forty years in education, I retired and joined the staff at the Thomas St. Angelo Public Library of Cumberland. I have worked there for five years in adult and youth services.  I have been able to utilize my background in child development and higher education to provide programs for infants through adults at the library. I am most proud of upgrading our collections of adult fiction and non-fiction, large print, youth, and audio books.  I have also worked with our director to create new opportunities for our patrons such as a Countryside Delivery program, installation of an Everbright light board, designed a Maker Space area, and installed a Native Plant garden.  I value collaboration and connecting with others.  I would be honored to be a member of the Youth Services Section board.


Valerie Spooner, Youth Services Librarian, Ladysmith Public Library 

I'm Valerie Spooner and I have been the Youth Services Librarian at the Rusk County Community Library in Ladysmith since 2014. I am a department of one and I do everything from collection development to programming and everything in between. The past few years have taught me how important it is to collaborate and communicate with fellow librarians. My favorite thing to do at the library is bring special guests (usually an animal) to storytime. My favorite thing to do not in the library is enjoy all of the outdoor activities Wisconsin has to offer, but I have to admit that you will usually find me reading and eating something yummy in my down time. Thank you for your consideration.


No comments: