Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Tuesday Tips - A Joke a Day!

Sam Jones is the Youth Services Librarian at the Beaver Dam Public Library. She shares tips to make your job easier in her Tuesday posts.

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay 
Last November, I started doing daily jokes for DINOvember. I rolled out our whiteboard that I usually use for storytimes and set it out by my desk. The jokes were all dinosaur themed. I learned pretty quickly that a joke a day was a lot (and there aren't a ton of family-friendly jokes about dinosaurs). About halfway through the month, I decided to do two jokes a week. One on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. The other is on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It is also a lot easier to remember what the joke is this way. After November, I put the board away and stopped doing the jokes. 

I wish I would've counted how many people asked what happened to the jokes. It was a lot more than I imagined, so I brought it back this month. I'm still doing two jokes a week and it doesn't feel like it is too much. I'm also planning out a month of jokes in advance, so I don't have to worry about what joke to use the day I need it. 

The great thing about this is that it really doesn't take up a lot of time and it makes people happy. I'm looking for a more permanent place to put the jokes, but it is definitely something I intend to keep on doing. In case you were wondering, this month's theme was winter and our joke for today is:  What kind of fish do penguins catch at night? A starfish.

No comments: