Thursday, December 10, 2020

Just Wondering - Non-Fiction Weeding Conundrums

This post by Manitowoc (WI) Public Library Youth Librarian and YSS Board Member Susie Menk explores the nuances and challenges of information book weeding. And she's wondering....what do you think? 

Image by OpenClipart-Vectors from Pixabay
Weeding criteria—it’s the same for all library materials right?!  I would say…not necessarily. Do you use the same criteria to weed fiction as you do for non-fiction?  I hope most of us are familiar with the CREW and MUSTIE criteria.  If not, please check here .  We use these guidelines to keep us consistent when doing weeding.  But I would have to say that non-fiction can be trickier than fiction.  For fiction you can check a book’s condition, the circulation stats, popularity, and an author’s popularity and then decide to keep or weed the book.  When you look at non-fiction, it’s sometimes not that easy.

Non-fiction books have more aspects that need to be considered.  Yes, you want to check a book’s circulation stats and popularity, but for non-fiction it is also important to make sure the book reflects current thoughts and trends on a specific topic.  Books that deal with historical figures or events in history have information that doesn’t change much.  Books on current trends or topics like computers, sports figures and science have information that can get outdated quickly. 

I was doing an update with my supervisor the other day and she was playing devil’s advocate.  I work mostly with the youth non-fiction collection and she has tasked me with making sure older publications are getting weeded.  She was making sure I had valid reasons for weeding or keeping books with older publication dates. 

So what aspects do I consider?  Besides looking at the condition and circulation statistics, I also consider how many books on that topic are in our collection.  Books written on non-fiction topics don’t get published as frequently as fiction books.  Non-fiction books for youth have a smaller audience so book publishers are less likely to spend a great deal of money on publishing these kinds of books.  Therefore, I may hang onto a book published in 2013 or 2014 if it’s the newest book that I can find on that topic. 

And not just newer, but well written.  There are some really great non-fiction writers and illustrators.  I personally like authors/illustrators such as Sandra Markle, Sy Montgomery, Nic Bishop and April Pulley Sayre.  For younger readers, I like one of the older authors—Gail Gibbons.  Unfortunately, her books are not often reprinted and once they wear out I have to weed them. 

Another aspect for me is how many libraries in our system have a particular title?  While I do not feel the need to keep a book on every topic under the sun, I still keep in mind that my library is the resource library for our system.  Because of that, I am more careful about keeping at least one book on a specific topic.  Not all topics, and not all the time, but sometimes.  It just depends.  Not an exact science, is it? 

Part of doing a good job with weeding and collection development is knowing your community.  While a particular topic might circulate well in a bigger, urban community, in my rural community it might not move off the shelf.  I need to pay attention to what is moving off the shelf, so I know what topics to focus on. 

So what guidelines do you use for non-fiction?  Any favorite authors?  Any great ideas for moving your non-fiction off the shelves more often?  I would love to hear what works for you!

3 comments:

Amy said...

As far as moving off the shelves, I've spent time getting to know homeschooling families in our area, and learned they were looking for a particular subset of nonfiction-- narrative-- as many use Charlotte Mason-inspired philosophy in their approach. These books appeal to kids and parents who aren't homeschooling, too, of course, and make good recommendations for kids who aren't exactly sure what they're looking for beyond "a good story."

I also consider where the book lives on the shelves. My library still uses Dewey, but I don't always go with the number suggested on the OCLC record, or the number systems staff at our county affiliate have chosen. I think about where it will be most accessible or found in my library and go from there.

After attending a webinar this fall with Melissa Stewart, I'm also very interested in doing some analysis of the collection and circulation data to see what the make-up of my nonfiction section is as compared to her five categories, and what the circulation data points to. (If you're interested in learning more about that, I found an on-demand webinar with her on the topic: https://event.on24.com/eventRegistration/EventLobbyServlet?target=reg30.jsp&partnerref=SLJSPNSRLerner102120&eventid=2734289&sessionid=1&key=963BACD1262BAD911A5197A9C8DE7818&regTag=&sourcepage=register)

I also have changed a lot in my thinking over the last 10 years in my thinking on having a book on every topic or keeping a book until the series was refreshed so I could get an up-to-date version. Some years back I was struggling with what to do with our books about Native Americans because if I weeded them, we wouldn't have coverage and it wasn't that they were not accurate, per se, but the way they were written was not culturally sensitive. Upon consulting with some colleagues and mentors, I ultimately determined that in some cases, it is better to not have a book on a topic on the shelf than to have one that perpetuates stereotypes or systemic oppression of a group.

Unknown said...

I'm a newer librarian and I am currently struggling with weeding older nonfiction 'staples' like ones by Gail Gibbons. They are still requested pretty often by families at my library, and a lot of older ones are still on school summer reading lists. For some of these, their pub dates are pushing twenty years old, which is not great for a typical nonfiction book. If the information in the book is still accurate, and it's still going out, is it okay to keep? And about reordering/replacing copies (if they're still in print). If the book is finally in a condition where it needs to go, do you typically try to order a newer book on the topic? I'm typically fairly aggressive with weeding, it's really just with a few nonfiction authors that I just don't know what to do! Your post is very helpful though, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts! Oh, and lastly, we get nonfiction to move off the shelf by keeping a few key series together, ex. the Who Was biographies, rather than by their Dewey number. :)

Susie Menk said...

Hi!

I run into the same problem with Gail Gibbons books. I love her books and they are still popular, especially with teachers. What I'm finding though is that many of her books can't be replaced. So...I am currently on the lookout for new non-fiction series or authors. As much as I want to keep Gail Gibbons books, some of the ones we have are so grubby I'm embarrassed to see them on the shelf. There are times when you just have to cut the cord and let go. Look for new, fresh authors who still are reliable. As Amy above mentioned, Melissa Stewart is a great author to follow. (Thanks Amy!) Find some samples of various authors and try them out or read lots of reviews. You will eventually find some newer authors that you can trust andthose older books will be able to be weeded. It can be hard to let go of "good stuff" but sometimes you find new authors that are just as great. Highlight the new authors, talk them up with parents and kids and pretty soon they will be just as popular as Gibbons was. Good luck!