Friday, February 25, 2022

Thank You Marianne!

Today's guest post is from Jenny Wegener, YSS Past President and Youth Services Manager at Pewaukee Public Library.

2021 was a hard year for the world of Children’s literature.  We lost so very many authors, illustrators, and other gems of kid lit.  Marianne Carus was one of those gems and you may have missed her passing last March. As we approach the anniversary of her death, I want to express my gratitude – without her, I would probably not be a librarian.

Jenny's original copy of her Cricket!
Marianne was the creator, editor, and publisher of Cricket magazine which debuted in September, 1973.  Inspired by a lack of high-quality literary magazines for children, Marianne decided to create one with wonderful writing and beautiful illustrations because she believed that, “(by being) Exposed to good writing and good illustrations…children would eventually develop a taste and appreciation for good literature and art.” 

Another goal was to widen a child’s horizons by introducing them to cultures around the world and historical events. Marianne published stories which had been translated from other languages – a rarity at the time.  Referencing that decision, she wrote, “We wanted to give our readers a feeling for other countries by offering them stories translated from other languages, stories that would awaken their respect for other traditions and customs…”  As a sheltered child growing up in a white suburb in the 1970’s, I needed those stories that could take me places and expand my interests.  

Cricket magazine, and by extension, Marianne Carus is one of the reasons I am a librarian. As a child I adored Cricket! When it came in the mail, I would disappear for a few hours until I had read it cover to cover.  And, I suspect, like many other readers I had a formula: continuations first, new stories, then the comics and letters from other readers, the poetry, and then the projects.  I will admit to being a subscriber long after I was “too old.”  Almost 50 years later, I have a box of those back issues that I haven’t been able to part with.   

In college I took a Children’s Literature course and I remember the joy of being reunited with old friends – Lloyd Alexander, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Virginia Hamilton, Ruth Krauss, and so many more.  So many wonderful authors and illustrators have been introduced to young readers in the pages of Cricket and its sister publications. 

So, belatedly, thank you Marianne Carus for setting me on the path, for countless hours of joy, and for recognizing that children need quality literature and art in their lives.  

If you were a Cricket reader, please leave a comment! 

[Quotes from:  Celebrate Cricket: 30 years of Stories and Art, edited by Marianne Carus.  Copyright 2003.]




No comments: