Friday, June 2, 2023

Fun Friday- Tweens and Teens Inexpensive Phone Grip (aka PopSocket) Program

Jamie Mercer is the Head of Youth Services at W.J. Niederkorn (Port Washington) Library and shares some extra fun with easy and/or FREE programming ideas/tips.

Happy Friday! 

Today, I am here to share a fun programming idea for tweens and teens!  It can be difficult when you wear many hats to create programs specifically for these target age groups.  Here is one I have found that is quick and that has been a great success for me a number of times over the years. 

Many tweens today have phones (along with teens), or if they don’t have a phone, many have a tablet.  And this is where PopSockets come in!  PopSockets have been around a while, and while we aren’t specifically using a PopSocket for this program, the idea is similar.   

Introducing the phone grip!  Tweens and teens alike love this program because not only will a phone grip (or two) work nicely to create a stand or act as an earbud holder (so they don’t get tangled), but they also get to put their own personal design and signature on the phone grip.  

I have run this program at several libraries over the years and the kids always enjoy it.  First, I order some phone grips (seriously search ‘phone grip’) on a wholesale website www.dhgate.com.  The site may not seem like the type of site you would usually order supplies from, but I am here to tell you, it is a legitimate site (I preface this by letting you know I have only used the site to buy phone grips for my phone grip program and each time have left ample time before the program for shipping).  I then order a package of 1.5 inch round labels that are compatible with inkjet or laser printers.  Lastly, I order 1.5 inch clear round mailing wafers. 


Before the program, I print off some designs on the round labels (for kids who may not feel like creating their own design).  I then set out the phone grips and round labels.  After everyone is happy with their design, they can peel off the label and apply it to the phone grip.  The finishing touch is placing the clear wafer over the top (making it semi-waterproof). 


Typically, the cost for the phone grip program breaks down like this: 

        Phone Grips- 50 grip @ $0.26 = $13.00

       1.5 Round Labels (300)             = $12.00 

       1.5 Clear Wafers (500)              = $13.00 

                                                         = $38.00 Total 


The program doesn’t take that long, so it could even be a passive activity.  Or you could make it a longer event, maybe have a movie and throw some snacks out after school or a day the school district has a break.  

As a librarian, it is a fun program that is low prep and can be done with limited time.  From the patron perspective, I have always had positive feedback from kids and their families. 


1 comment:

YA Librarian said...

I love this! Totally adding it to my list of ideas!