Friday, June 9, 2023

Fun Fridays - Sensory-Based Programming

Jamie Mercer is the Head of Youth Services at W.J. Niederkorn (Port Washington) Library and shares some extra fun with easy and/or FREE programming ideas/tips.

Happy Friday! 

Today I am here to give my short soap-box speech on sensory programming and to encourage you (if you aren’t already) to create sensory based programs at your library.  

If you haven’t ever held a sensory program at your library, it may be intimidating and it may sound like it requires an immense amount of work.  I have also heard of many librarians getting discouraged because it can be messy… let me assure you…it definitely can be…but it is what YOU make it…and… IT’S TOTALLY WORTH IT AND NEEDED! 

Let me put you at ease, after doing sensory programming for seven years now, I can tell you, it doesn’t have to be time intensive and it doesn’t have to be expensive.  Again, it is what YOU make it. 

Before I go any further into the how of sensory programming, I will give a brief synopsis of why it is so important and needed- 

As a librarian, you will really want to make sure you consistently include a sensory based program in your youth programming.  Not only does sensory play and sensory activities help children by supporting healthy brain development through different modes of sensory input, sensory play and sensory activities also engage children in problem solving, as well as aids in language development, building fine and gross motor skills, and finally helps children with social-emotional growth as they learn from one another by observing, imitating, and modeling as they play.  Because of the plethora of benefits, sensory programming is a wonderful option to offer ALL children and families.  It is also key to note that sensory programming is an excellent vehicle and opportunity to make your library more accessible to underserved populations such as the autistic community.  It is a chance to develop great community partnerships that just help the library and library staff grow in many different ways. 

Over the past year, due to time and staff constraints, my sensory programs have shifted from Sensory Storytime to Sensory Playtime.  I will talk briefly about both.  

When I planned for my sensory storytime, I would choose a theme.  I created a visual schedule that I would attach to the flannel board for storytime so participants could follow along and know what to expect (the visual schedule pieces stayed consistent for each storytime).  I choose one or two stories for each storytime to go with the theme (one of the stories would always be a flannel board story.  I usually made the pieces for the story myself with cheap felt from a craft store). I encouraged storytime friends to hold pieces so they could be active participants in the story…but understood if and when that didn’t work out.  And that was okay.  With any sensory programming you do, my best advice, just go with the flow. 

As far as finger plays, songs, etc., I also would choose one or two songs for the storytime.  I included props during the storytime and songs including shakers, bean bags/textured bean bags, bouncy bands, the bubble machine, etc.  Aside from the bubble machine, I have at one point or another in the past several years made all the props for my sensory programming including egg shakers with rice, tape, and plastic eggs.  I also remember sewing bean bags together after I had found really neat textured fabric on a craft store trip.  The props get used and lost along the way.  And that is also okay.  

It is definitely nice if you have funds in place to buy sensory programming supplies, but you can also have an excellent program with materials you find around home and/or make yourself.  Sometimes families appreciate this even more because they know it will be easy and affordable to replicate when they get home. 

As far as sensory playtime, I also generally plan around a theme for these programs as well.  After a theme is chosen, I plan 5-6 activities trying to focus on different senses, fine motor skills, gross motor skills, and play activities that encourage interaction.  Big fan favorites include- water beads… anytime I take out a bin with water beads in it, that is where 70% of the children gravitate.  Playdough is also a favorite (I try to add different scents to this… based on season or theme…with essential oils).  I often use playdough recipes from Pinterest that our quick and with items that can be brought in from home…. there is an excellent two ingredient recipe that is cornstarch and hand lotion or conditioner that works great in a pinch.  

I’ve had success with several food related activities during sensory playtime (without issue or complaint, but realize that this will vary by library).  This past fall, I was able to bring in my apple corer for an apple themed sensory playtime where kids cored, peeled, and sliced their own apples.  Then they used it to make apple sauce in a crock pot.  They had a delectable time! 

I hope you found this brief post helpful, please pick my brain if you’d like more examples of activities or want feedback, etc.  If you aren’t doing sensory programming now…I hope you will try it.  And after you try it, I would LOVE to hear about it. It is hard to try something new, especially if you are nervous, and I would love to celebrate you and congratulate you. 

I am happy to answer further questions or help in any way I can.  If I don’t have the answer, I am happy to point you to a person or resource that may be of better assistance. 

Feel free to contact me at jmercer@monarchlibraries.org  

No comments: