Monday, August 14, 2023

Chair's Corner - August 2023 YSS Board Updates

Today's August 2023 YSS board meeting update is from Alison Loewen, our YSS 2023 Chair and Youth Services Librarian, Mead Public Library, Sheboygan

 “Puff, puff, chug, chug went the Little Blue Engine. 'I think I can– I think I can– I think I can– I think I can– I think I can–I think I can–I think I can–I think I can.' Up, up, up. Faster and faster and faster the little engine climbed, until at last they reached the top of the mountain.”


To the Little Blue Engine, the task of pulling the heavy load of toys up the hill seemed beyond their ability.  But the desire to help, paired with a growth mindset and the encouragement of others, allowed Little Blue to achieve the seemingly impossible.   As summer winds down, I think we all feel like the Little Blue Engine, chugging and puffing our way through the end of the season.  Unlike Little Blue however, our work is never finished.  We have many hills to climb throughout the year in service of children and their families, and maintaining that perseverance and growth mindset is key. In a recent blog post shared on  YSS Shout Out, we are reminded to design programs that encourage discovery, creativity, and self-directed play to promote a growth mindset in children.  And it is equally important for adults to maintain that attitude in our work and personal lives, just like the Little Blue Engine.  


Sometimes, maintaining that attitude can be difficult, especially when a programming idea you are attached to falls flat.  Recently, I was exploring an idea for a YSS Presents webinar that I couldn’t pull together.  Instead, I needed to retire that idea and revisit topic suggestions. The board often needs to reconsider our goals and objectives, and how to best meet the needs of our community - you!  While our next YSS Presents webinar session isn’t solid enough to share with you today, I hope the topic feeds your curiosity, and empowers you with knowledge and tools to make programming more intentional and meaningful. Keep an eye out as we pull things together.


As a lover of professional development, workshops are opportunities that I seek out.  Learning and being part of communities of practice helps me maintain self-confidence in the work I am doing.  One such opportunity the board is proud to have played a small role in is the recent “School and Public Libraries: What You Need to Know” workshop organized by DPI.  A few members of the board presented about collections and programming to around 80 librarians who gathered to learn, share and build community.  Most attendees had three years or less experience working in youth services and came from all corners of the state.  Choosing to spend two full days of concentrated learning requires dedication, a clear commitment to the field, and a mindset open to changing practices and learning from others. Congratulations to all DPI staff involved in the planning, and to the library staff who attended.


If you enjoy opportunities to challenge yourself, you might consider running for a position on the board.  When I decided to submit my candidacy, I wanted to help, but I didn’t feel qualified, and I also wasn’t sure what I was getting into.  However, I can assure anyone on the fence about running for a position, to just go for it!  The board works as a team, and we encourage each other’s growth through collaboration and conversation.  If you love what you do, and if you want to help strengthen youth services across the state, you will be a great addition.  This year, we have 4 positions available; the chair-elect (3 year term); 2 directors at large (2 year term); and the secretary (3 year term).  You can learn more about these positions on a recent blog post.  


And as you wind your way through the end of summer and into fall, if there are ways you think the board could be better support to you and the work you do, please reach out. We want everyone’s story to end like this one:  


“And the Little Blue Engine smiled and seemed to say as she puffed steadily down the mountain…. 'I thought I could. I thought I could. I thought I could. I thought I could. I thought I could. I thought I could.' ” - The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper


No comments: