Thursday, April 18, 2024

Throw-It Thursday - Requesting Donations

Ashley Borman, Technical Services Librarian at the Clintonville (WI) Public Library, is back with another weeding tips column. 

Have you ever played with the idea of creating a unique collection at your library? Maybe have power tools, or cake pans, or fishing gear available for check out? Having a “Library of Things” is becoming increasingly popular in public libraries. It’s a great way for people to be able to borrow something to do something they wouldn’t normally be able to do, or to test out something before investing in their own items. But how can you think about starting something if you don’t have the funding or the space? Ask the community for help.

Asking patrons and members of the community to donate their gently used items is a great way to start building a new collection. I have found the easiest way to do this is to talk to patrons. When they find out what you are doing and what you want, they are usually happy to spread the word to friends and family (and sometimes strangers!). Once I start telling people what I am looking for, and they spread it other people, items start to trickle in. Phones start ringing with questions (Yes, you can absolutely donate that! That sounds like exactly what I am looking for!). I will also post on Facebook that the library is accepting donations of gently used or new [items]. People will share the posts and again, people will start bringing things in.

I love when I ask for things and patrons start bringing stuff in. Sometimes, however, they bring in things that don’t quite work for what I have in mind. So I always like to have a disclaimer on my requests, the same as we have with book donations. Donations are accepted at any time, but it is up to the discretion of the librarians what we keep to use, and what goes to the Friends of the Library for their next book sale. Although, I change it to reflect whatever I am asking patrons to donate. There are always a few things that do not get used, but asking for help is such an easy way to get items when you don’t necessarily have the funds for them.

No comments: