Monday, October 1, 2012

Welcome Banned Book Week

What are you reading today?

First thing this morning, I was in the YA stacks pulling books that I knew were on the ALA Most Challenged List and books that had been challenged in my own library.  I grabbed some of my favorite reads; The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler, Whale Talk by Chris Crutcher, King & King by Linda de Haan and Stern Nijland, Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, and Luna by Julie Anne Peters. I took a few minutes to page through King & King, smiling at the illustrations, charmed by the writing. I printed out graphics to tape to the shelves. I am hoping to draw the eye of passer byers. (Is that a word?) For shock value I even included Harry Potter and Roald Dahl.

I wanted to make sure I had the right Julie Anne Peters title. I knew many of her books have been challenged but I wanted to verify Luna was on that list. So I was googling it and I found this incredible blog. Burning Desire for Banned Books. I love the tag line. This Blog is Censored! Do Not Read This Blog. Stop. Do Not Keep Reading. And Unwind is a fantastic book. It's not updated regularily. It almost looks like the blog was created for a class project. I hope she/he got an A+. But the content is timeless so that works for me. The author also includes a lot of book trailers which is also a feature I love.

 
If you were going to take a banned book home tonight to read, which delectable title would you choose and why?

No comments: