Friday, March 1, 2013

Check Out These New Program Blogs

Every so often the forces of the universe align in a perfect way. This past week must have been that time. Let me share four wonderful new-to-me blogs (three from Wisconsin!) that have great programming content.

Library Makers is a blog that is written by Carissa Christen from Madison Public Library. I caught her presentation on preschool STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) programs in late February at the outstanding Southwest Library System Early Literacy Science and Math workshop in Fennimore. Her blog explores a number of her programs - WonderWorks, a preschool STEM series; Toddler Art class; CraftLab for teens and NeedleReads for teens and adults. Carissa generously shares her programs and tips. A keeper!


Miss Meg's Storytime is a brand new shiny blog from the "Meg"nificent Meagan Schiebel. Currently a UW-Madison SLIS student, she has been presenting storytimes IRL and gathering her goods in a binder. Binder has now morphed to blog. Meagan shares her books, songs, literacy tips and activities with confidence and a fun perspective. A definite blog for your feeds.

In Short, I am Busy (the title is based on a Mbundu poem) is by Jennifer Wharton of the Matheson Memeorial Library in Elkhorn. She has carefully divided out her original blog into posts on positive reviews; meh reviews and programs. This blog contains her programs and she shares the good, the bad and the bizarre. Well worth reading.

My final blog props go to a very new blog, Knowledge Matters, from Christina Jones of the Bloomington IN Library. She shares early literacy ideas in a profound and thoughtful way (just reading her "About" statement made me glad to meet her).

Get cosmic and put these blogs on your feed! 


3 comments:

Georgia Jones said...

Thank you for making me aware of these wonderful blogs! Just in time for me as I was in need of some fresh perspective!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the mention! I hope people find some useful ideas - or at least enjoy the cute pictures (-:)

Anonymous said...

This was a great post- I look forward to getting some new ideas!
Jill from Eau Claire