Friday, September 18, 2015

Meet the Candidates for Directors-At-Large - 2016 YSS Board

Kelsey Johnson-Kaiser, Youth Services Librarian
La Crosse Public Library 

What’s your current position? 
 I’m a Youth Services Librarian at La Crosse Public Library. While many of my colleagues have a more age-specific specialty area, I get to do a little with all the age groups. I love the variety of working with so many different kids and families.

What makes you want to serve on the YSS board?
Here in Wisconsin we’re lucky to have such a fantastically supportive network of YS librarians doing great work all across the state. I would love to be more involved in supporting librarians as we all discover new and fun ways to spread the word about literacy and the awesomeness of libraries.

Favorite book (currently and/or for all time)?
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine is the book I vividly remember feeling totally immersed in, not wanting to do anything but read until the end. I liked reading as a kid, but that was the first time I really experienced a story capturing one hundred percent of my attention. When it comes to absolute-all-time-favorite-till-I-die series, Harry Potter will always be number one. I recently had a dream where I was reading them again for the first time, and I woke up so happy.

What has been your most memorable library moment so far?
When I left my first YS librarian job for a new one in another city, one of my favorite library families brought me a big wooden letter K that they had decoupaged with pictures of Kevin Henkes book covers (K for Kelsey, not Kevin – my love for Kevin Henkes only goes so far). When I told them I loved it and would keep it on my desk at my new library, their three-year-old son said “Or you could put it on your door, so people know you’re a librarian. You can use tape.”

Tell us about a great experience you’ve had at WLA. 
Last year was the first time I presented at WLA, and a school librarian and I talked about a collaborative book club we started at our local high school. Sharing our experience was fun, but I really enjoyed the way everyone in attendance shared their own stories of how they’ve collaborated with their schools, and brainstormed solutions to questions others asked. I love the experience of being in a group of enthusiastic people and absorbing so many cool new ideas.

What is your librarian superpower?
Hugs! Have you read Hug Machine by Scott Campbell? That’s me. I’ve been told I give great hugs, especially if you are having a rough day. Find me at WLA and I will bestow a wonderful hug on you - your life might be changed.


Susie Menk
Youth Librarian, Manitowoc Public Library

What’s your current position?
I am a Youth Librarian in the Children’s Department at Manitowoc Public Library.  I have worked here for over four years.

What makes you want to serve on the YSS board?
I am excited about early literacy and children’s books and am always looking for new ideas and to share what has worked for my library.

Favorite book (currently and/or for all time)?
Pete the Cat I Love My White Shoes - it’s so much fun to get the kids going with this book!

What has been your most memorable library moment so far?
Having a mom tell me that her daughter has learned to share so well since she started coming to Toddler Times.  The parent and child interactions after Toddler Time have been so valuable!

Tell us about a great experience you’ve had at WLA. 
I was at WLA in the fall of 2014 and heard several great workshops on getting school age children into the library.  One that stands out is the Field Trip Adventure program shared by the LaCrosse Public Library staff.  I came back to my library and tried the program on a small scale.  I am currently working in getting funding to offer field trips to all the local public and private grade schools.  So excited about this program!

What is your librarian superpower?
I love to do storytimes.  My time with the little ones is my favorite part of the day—getting on the floor and doing action songs, engaging them while reading books, making up actions for fingerplays and then just talking to them!


Emily Heideman
Teen Service Librarian, Waupaca Area Public Library

What’s your current position?
I am currently the Teen Services Librarian at Waupaca Area Public Library. That means I plan and implement programming for tweens and teens (gr. 6-12), select and purchase YA books, audiobooks, graphic novels, manga, DVDs, and magazines. I also advise our Student Library Advisory Group (SLAG) as they continue to foster a teen library space that is safe, comfortable and welcoming. I also manage between 5 and 8 teen employees that staff my Teen Room Desk.

What makes you want to serve on the YSS board?
I want to be a part of the YSS Board because I just can’t advocate enough for Teen Services and my brain is exploding with amazing and innovative ideas that you (yes, you) will be able to help bring to fruition at your owns libraries! I was also fortunate enough to participate as a panelist on a YSS Presents webinar about teen programming earlier this year and presented at WLA’s Teen Pre-Conference last year. It was such a blast connecting with all the charming personalities that frequent our profession; I just can’t get enough of it. Finally, I also have selfish reasons for desiring a position like Director-at-Large…I want to assimilate your ideas for providing better service to children and teens. Resistance is futile. :)

Favorite book (currently and/or for all time)?
What kind of question is this!? That's like asking a parent to pick her/his favorite child! While I can't pick a favorite, some of the books I've read and enjoyed include: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, The Wicked Years series by Gregory Maguire, Every Day by David Levithan, We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, just about everything ever written and illustrated by Catherine Rayner, and The Family Romanov by Candace Fleming...ooh...and Port Chicago 50 by Steve Sheinkin!

What has been your most memorable library moment so far?
There is this little boy (4 years old) that comes into the library every Tuesday evening with his grandparents...and every Tuesday evening we practice writing his name, talk about his favorite superheroes, and find good books to read.

Tell us about a great experience you’ve had at WLA. 
In 2014, I set up a makerspace for other YA librarians to create their own mini book keychain craft. It was a lot of fun getting to mingle with my peers in the field and share with them something that the teens in my community enjoyed. At another function, I had a fellow Teen Librarian approach me and show me the keychain she had made at the WLA Teen Pre-Conference; she told me that her teens enjoyed that activity, too. What an incredible feeling to be able to share something that worked for me and see it go on and work for others!

What is your librarian superpower?
My superpower is probably awesomeness. I provide tweens and teens with awesome programs, awesome books, and awesome tools to succeed in school, at home, and in life. #dftba

Cole Zrostlik
Youth Services Librarian, St. Croix Falls Public Library

What’s your current position?
I am the Youth Services Librarian at the St. Croix Falls Public Library! I've been with the SCFPL for five years and have guided youth and family services at our library way beyond storytime with programs, ideas, and services that have transformed a small, rural, and newly constructed library space into a mecca of creativity, community engagement, and learning for kids of all ages and their families.

What makes you want to serve on the YSS board?
I realize, especially working in a small community, that sometimes, as a youth services librarian, YOU are the ONLY person doing a job like yours. I have appreciated working within a larger community of librarians and I think that it's important to help other youth services librarians understand the value, and the exhilaration, of a caring, supportive, innovative, and fearless network of focused, dedicated, and smart people to help guide the important work that we all do.

Favorite book (currently and/or for all time)?
If I Ever Get Out of Here by Eric Gansworth

What has been your most memorable library moment so far?
A secret dumpster shanty town, library dance parties, rewarding bad after-school behaviors with cupcakes, an awesome Pokemon club, getting a handmade Lego key as a wedding gift, kid-led clubs and programs, and seeing one set of twin girls go to kindergarten, the other set go to high school this year!

Tell us about a great experience you’ve had at WLA. 
I haven't been a member for too, too long, but last year at the WLA conference I got to present about outside-the-box youth programming. That was so, so cool because even though I don't think of myself as the most confident speaker or the most knowledgeable reader's adviser, I am super, super passionate about getting kids the things they need to be successful humans-- it was validating to be asked to present because I have a lot to say!

What is your librarian superpower?
Don't tell anyone, but I am an exceedingly good problem solver when it comes to behavior management. I can also fly.

No comments: