Friday, September 18, 2015

Meet the Candidates for Chair-Elect - 2016 YSS Board

Terry Ehle
Youth Services Coordinator, Lester Public Library

What’s your current position?
Currently I am a Director-at-Large on the YSS board and Youth Services Coordinator at Lester Public Library.

What makes you want to serve on the YSS board?
Over the last two years I have really enjoyed working with the YSS board – it is probably one of the few boards where I actually don’t want my term to expire! I feel that YSS is moving in a great direction and I want to do what I can to help it continue on that path.

Favorite book (currently and/or for all time)?
One of my favorite YA books is Unwind by Neal Shusterman. Great characters, great moral debate, it lingers. My favorite school-age book right now is The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate - what's not to love. My favorite picture book is Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox – it gets me every time <sniffle>.

What has been your most memorable library moment so far?
I can honestly say that I could never pick just one moment,there are just too many.

Tell us about a great experience you’ve had at WLA. 
One of the greatest experiences I have had at WLA was hearing Dr. Dipesh Navasaria talk about the Reach Out and Read program. As soon as I got back to my library I reached out to my community in order to bring the program to our county. I connected with many new organizations and our partnership has succeeded in beginning the program as well as a host of other initiatives. One of the best sessions I have every attended.

What is your librarian superpower?
My librarian superpower is my ability to remember plot lines – I can do 30 book talks easily with no notes - except for the names of the characters – ugh, remembering them is my kryptonite.

Keri Whitmore
Teen Librarian, Franklin Public Library

What’s your current position?
I am the Teen Librarian at Franklin Public Library in Franklin, a south suburb of Milwaukee.

What makes you want to serve on the YSS board?
Having been a children’s librarian and now, especially as a teen librarian, I know how challenging it is to continually have to try to come up with new ideas for programming to attract and keep patrons coming to the library.  I would like to be on the YSS board to share my perspective as a teen librarian and give insight on different types of creative, forward-thinking programming we could offer librarians to help them create dynamic library offerings for children of all ages.

Favorite book (currently and/or for all time)?
Currently – Eleanor and Park, All-time – The Outsiders

What has been your most memorable library moment so far?
When my TAB managed to put on a full-fledged haunted house at the library and raise over a thousand dollars in a weekend for the teen area (and set off the fire alarm, along with a few other glitches, lol).

Tell us about a great experience you’ve had at WLA. 
Not specifically library-related, but seeing Russ Feingold speak at the president’s luncheon back in ’05 or ‘06.  I was in awe.

What is your librarian superpower?
Resilience

No comments: