Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Meet the Board: Marge Loch-Wouters, WLA Board Liason

Marge answered a few interview questions so you can get a chance to know your Youth Services Section Board. We'll be sharing interview responses from other board members throughout the month.
Tell us a little bit about who you are and your connection to libraries and the YSS Board.
I recently transitioned from being a career-long children’s librarian into teaching and consulting.  I’ve been active in YSS since the late 70s, serving on committees, as YSS chair and anywhere I could lend a hand. ALSC has been my national home where I’ve been active as well. I blog at Tiny Tips for Library Fun and spend lots of time exploring and thinking about how we encompass leadership, advocacy, creativity and intention as youth librarians.
If you could be any book character for a day or a week, who would you be?
Hands down, Tiffany Aching –practical yet compassionate with that little bit ‘o magic

What was your favorite childhood book?
All the large format Dr. Seuss books. Once I could read on my own, I devoured them again and again.
Where do you get inspiration for your work?
When I was a kid, I found some of the library staffers a bit crabby. I vowed that when I grew up I would make the library fun. I find library service to be like a puzzle that needs to be solved to keep doing great service – all while making the experience fun and easy for kids.
How long have you been a member of YSS? What do you get out of it?
Over 40 years now. I joined as a grad student. Through all the decades, I’ve met the BEST people – friends and leaders in YSS who have enlarged my mind and heart and peers from all types and sizes of libraries who have shared so much.
What do you like to do in your free time to recharge?
I love yoga, meditation, cooking, the outdoors (hiking, biking, canoeing, fishing, snowshoeing) ..oh yeah and reading.

No comments: