Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Meet the Board: Your 2017 YSS Chair - Terry Ehle



We'll be featuring interviews with the 2017 YSS Board Members every Tuesday through January and February so that you can get to know your board better. We'll start with our Chair, Terry Ehle.
 
Terry
Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Hi, my name is Terry Ehle and I am the Youth Services Coordinator for the Lester Public Library in Two Rivers, WI. I have been at the library for 18 years, which blows my mind as I never intended to be a librarian in the first place. Once I started though I was hooked and love my job more every day!

How did you get involved with WLA and the Youth Services Section?
I had been going to conferences for years but hadn’t really gotten involved and then I became the Youth Liaison for my system which allowed me to meet even more youth librarians – they are such a great group of people; it was easy to start saying yes when I was asked to be more involved. And of course Marge…she can be quite persuasive am I right?

What’s your favorite thing to eat while reading?
Well, I would read at all times if I could so I can’t say I have a favorite but I do love to read during breakfast. I’m not really a morning person and my family prefers it if I read…I think….

How would you define your library programming style?
I am definitely a “let’s see how it goes” type of programmer. I am pretty much willing to try anything once.

What is your favorite genre? Which genre would you choose to go outside your comfort zone?
I prefer science fiction/fantasy, particularly urban fantasy. To go outside my comfort zone I would read nonfiction. I definitely read to escape so it is hard for me to get through nonfiction.

What was your favorite book or story as a child?
We had this huge book of golden book stories that my dad would read from at bedtime. One of my fondest memories is of listening him to read, he read in a complete monotone voice yet it is one thing that I remember most about him from my childhood and how much I loved it!

What’s your method for getting distracted kids (of any age) back on track during a program?
I do the “hands in the air, hands on your head, hands on your shoulders, hands on your knees, hands over your mouth” – it always works!

How do you enhance your Readers Advisory skills?
I have a really good memory for plotlines and right before I do a group of booktalks I read all the inside flaps of the books I am going to talk about. I also look them up on Amazon and read the reader reviews for little snippets I can add. I actually think I do better booktalking books I haven’t read as once I’ve read them I feel the need to add every detail of the story. It is hard not to gush when you liked a book.

Which author, living or dead, would you most like to have over for dinner?
None. I don’t like to meet authors overall because it takes away the magic of the story for me, like meeting the man in the Santa suit.

What do you like to do in your free time to recharge?
Besides read? I love movies and traveling with my family. We are on a quest to see all 50 state capitals and we are halfway there!

What’s your favorite part of being a librarian?
I love it when I can interest kids in books. If I introduce a book to a child and they come back for more...no better feeling in the world!

Tell us about a memorable experience at WLA or WAPL.
I saw Dr. Dipesh Navasaria speak about the Reach Out and Read Program at WLA and it was a HUGE turning point for me and my library. We have started several early literacy initiatives since then including bringing Reach Out and Read to our county.

Which book(s) have your read and re-read and read again?
I reread books when I am stressed and can’t add new information to my brain…when that happens I read fluff like Twilight, J.D. Robb, and quick romance novels.

If you could have any book character as a best friend, who would you choose and why?
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle because wouldn’t it be awesome to be able to help any child with any issue? She is a superhero to me!

No comments: