Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Failure is Part of the Process

Many of us participate in the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP).  This year's theme is "Build a Better World" and is great opportunity for STEM programming.  I've done STEM programs at my library, but I feel I've done all the topics I'm comfortable doing.  There are some topics I'm afraid to try. 

After reading Brandy Walton's STEM Programming on Teen Services Underground,  I'm inspired to get uncomfortable and maybe fail.  No one likes that feeling when something is not going as planned.  But as Brandy reminds us science is about trial and error.  When an experiment fails, scientists ask questions and try to figure out how to succeed. 

Brandy also reminds me that we don't have to have all the answers.  We are librarians, not scientists.  We can learn along with the children and teens we serve. 

What are your favorite STEM programs?  What was your most challenging STEM program?

No comments: