Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Meet Your Board: Elizabeth Timmins, Director at Large

Elizabeth Timmins, Director at Large
Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I am an avid reader who is passionate about reading and literacy. I am in touch with my inner child (I have never grown up!) and this enables me to love life and the people around me!

How did you get involved with WLA and the Youth Services Section?
I was asked to help with the WLA 2007 conference by Terrie Howe and Linda Jerome is most responsible for getting me in the know about YSS.

What’s your favorite thing to eat while reading?
A nice strong cup of coffee with cream is the best.

If you could have any book character as a best friend, who would you choose and why?
Anne of Green Gables. She is adventurous and street smart but appreciates loyalty and small comforts.

How would you define your library programming style?
Flexible and informal. “Let’s have a great time AND you might just learn something!”

What is the last series that you read with your eyes and/or your ears?
Three Pines series by Louise Penny.

What is your favorite genre? Which genre would you choose to go outside your comfort zone?
Self-help, mysteries, and memoirs are my favorite genres. I stretch out by reading YA.

Tell us about a memorable experience at WLA or WAPL.
Getting to introduce Ben Merens at a luncheon is one of my favorite moments at WLA.

What was your favorite book or story as a child?
I loved The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.

If you had to tell a story or a folktale, which one would you tell?
The Three Bears or The Three Billy Goats Gruff.

What’s your method for getting distracted kids (of any age) back on track during a program?
Clapping or lowering my voice until they have to strain to hear me.

Where do you get inspiration for your work?
Everywhere but particularly art galleries, gardens, concerts, children’s museums, other libraries.

Share an awesome library moment with us.
I was teaching a children’s literature course for Marian College and I really wanted a copy of a book that I learned to read with called A Kitten for Kim. (A Weekly Reader book.) I wanted it as an example of a rebus story. Also, to model about learning through context. When my dad and I read it together we discovered Kim was boy, not a girl. One day it showed up in a box of donations at the library. It was unbelievable!! It was just there for me to have and use!!!


What do you like to do in your free time to recharge?
Be with friends.

Which author, living or dead, would you most like to have over for dinner?
Arnold Lobel, just to tell him how great Frog and Toad are!

Which book(s) have your read and re-read and read again?
Charlotte’s Web/Best Christmas Pageant Ever/The Giver/A Christmas Carol

How do you break the ice with teen patrons?
No different than any other patrons. Just talk to them about what they are reading and ask them about what is going on in their lives.

What’s your go-to storytime song?
“There were ten in the bed”.


How do you enhance your Readers Advisory skills?
By participating in several book groups and being active on Goodreads.com.

What’s your favorite part of being a librarian?
Being excited for people’s adventures. Example: I am happy for a family of patrons that is going to France next month. It was such a joy for me to recommend books to them this week (range of ages) as they mentally prepare for their trip!

No comments: