Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Meet Your Board: Tessa Michaelson-Schmidt, Ex officio member

Tessa Michaelson Schmidt poses with small mammals at two recent WLA conferences.
Tessa also shares a bit about herself in her board interview:


Tell us a little bit about who you are and your connection to libraries and the YSS Board.
I serve the public libraries of Wisconsin as the youth services and inclusive services consultant for the State of Wisconsin. In this capacity, I sit on the YSS board as an ex-officio, or non-voting, member in order to maximize fluency between the Department of Public Instruction (home of the state library) and the Youth Services Section of WLA.
Tell us about a memorable experience at WLA or WAPL.
I have been part of the past few preconference planning committee for YSS at the WLA Annual Conference. We have offered a terrific line-up of early literacy, teen services, and school-age efforts in recent years. For some attendees, the preconference is a great kick-off to the conference. For others, the preconference is a wonderful one-day learning opportunity. Being part of the planning committee is largely a virtual effort, and a fun way to collaborate with YSS members to plan something special for the youth services community.
Which book(s) have your read and re-read and read again?
Having moved several times in my adult life, I made the decision to only keep books that I would read and again, so that my bookshelves (or moving boxes) were only filled with favorites. A few titles on my shelf include I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, Feed by MT Anderson, Are You There God, It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume, and I Like You by Sandol Stoddard Warburg.
What’s your favorite thing to eat while reading?
Sweet and salty—peanut butter filled pretzels don’t last long around me.

No comments: