Sunday, November 21, 2021

Youth Advocates and Leaders Inducted into Library Hall of Fame

On Thursday November 18, two strong youth advocates were inducted into the Wisconsin Library Heritage Hall of Fame at the Wisconsin Library Association annual conference in Green Bay.  

Alice Sturzl, a school librarian for four decades in the Laona School District, library trustee and active member of the Wisconsin Library Association has long been an advocate for youth services and mentor to many youth services librarians throughout the state. She was a great leader as well and paved the way for many youth librarians in WLA. You can read about her here at the Library Heritage Center site.

Carol Diehl, another strong school librarian and fearless advocate for Wisconsin's youth and youth libraries, a legislative lion and unstoppable force  was posthumously inducted on the same night. You can  read here about Carol's contributions at the WI Library Heritage Center site. 

Both of these women exemplify dedicated service and the power of mentors and mentoring. These women are important people in our Wisconsin youth library history and its truly special to see them so honored!

Below are Alice Sturzl's remarks from her acceptance speech. 

I am honored to be standing here before you, but I have to admit that I am humbled by this unexpected award that is being bestowed on me.

Congratulations to all of the award winners who are being recognized this evening, as well as to The Class Of 2021 Hall-Of-Fame Inductees.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank some special people who have been instrumental in getting me to this point in my professional life, and for supporting me in my professional endeavors:

  1. To my beloved husband Bruce for supporting me in the commitments that I chose to undertake, helping me to take care of those commitments, and for getting me to the commitments that I made.
  2. To Marla Sepnafski for nominating me, for helping me to always see the big picture with library system issues, and for making certain that I always had the information that I needed.
  3. To Kris Adams Wendt for nominating me, for keeping me in-the-loop on public-library issues, and for helping me enjoy a plate of crab rangoons during our discussions.
  4. To Heather Eldred for nominating me, leading me in to WLA by appointing me to The Committee On Organization during her presidency, and having faith in the abilities that I did not yet know I had.
  5. To Cindy Lemerande for teaching me about the local politics of public libraries as we worked in tandem in a combined school-public library in the small, and rural, community of Laona, Wisconsin. 
  6. To Larry Martin for his leadership during my WLA presidency, even though he left us at the mid-way point for The Democratic Party.
  7. To Bernie Bellin, Mike Gelhausen, and Kathy Pletcher for taking me under their wings when I was a fledging member on The WLA Board.
  8. And last, but certainly not the least, To The Wisconsin Library Association Foundation for setting up The Wisconsin Library Heritage Center and its component Hall Of Fame!  

I have always felt that I was put on this earth to help others by sharing my time, talent, and treasure with them.  That led me to The Field Of Education.  I originally planned to be a secondary math teacher, but the required three semesters of college calculus-and-trigonometry classes seemed like over-kill.  Many of the secondary schools were not even offering those subjects at that time; but, my, how things have changed in the last few years.  I decided to use math as a hobby, and instead pursue a career as a school librarian.  I knew that I could help students learn what I had learned, and teach them new things that would help them survive in the adult world.  I have watched former students become successful members of today’s society.  It is gratifying to know that I may have had a hand in helping them get to where they are today.    

My chosen profession has also been personally fulfilling, because I feel that I have had an impact on library-related matters.  While I may not have made the same impact others have made, I know that I have made an impact in my little corner of the world.  I am concerned about libraries of all types; since I have worked in school, public, and academic libraries.  I am also concerned about the staff, and trustees, who are a part of the workings of all libraries.  It is imperative for these people to work together to ensure their libraries take care of the needs of their patrons.  People do a library make; and we need to continue to work together to maintain the staffing, materials, and financial resources that our libraries must have to fulfill their purposes in society.

My contributions to the profession have been many, and varied.  I have been involved with, and advocated for, libraries on local, regional, and state levels most of my adult life.  Needless to say, all of my involvement has centered around the things that are important to me.  Yes, they are also important to all of us; or you would not be here tonight.   

The personal rewards that I have received have allowed me to “rise by helping others through committed and selfless service”.  “True greatness is not measurable by our position but by the strength and extent of our selfless service to others”.  I have made many friends throughout Wisconsin’s library community, and those friends have taught me a great deal about life, and living it to the best of my ability.  As a matter of fact, all of you have played a part in my journey by acting as mentors, supporters, and tutors to me.

I would be remiss, if I did not mention that many of those who supported me while we worked together for the common good of libraries have already been enshrined; and they are my heroes, so I am honored to now be included in that “circle”.  

I hereby accept --(do I have a choice?)-- my Induction In To The Wisconsin Library Hall Of Fame, but on your behalf.  All of you have contributed to this award as professional, and personal, friends; and I would not be where I am today without you.  Each one of you can reach for the sky, and stretch your arms far enough to stand where I am at some point in your future. 

Thank you!

Congratulations to both of these wonderful advocates and their families.



No comments: