Wednesday, May 30, 2018

How to Wean Yourself Off Smartphones and Social Media

Our phones are a great tool, but they can consume hours of our time. For librarians, they also can keep us connected to our jobs All.The.Time. Over this past year, I have become increasingly mindful how addicting certain apps can be and I wanted to make using my phone intentional, not a mindless reaction.

Rob Marvin from PC writes, "How often do you open your smartphone and suddenly find yourself having lost 30 minutes or perhaps hours of your day? It's all too easy to get lost in our screens as we tap from app to app and scroll through social feeds. In our hyper-connected world, cutting out tech altogether is unrealistic unless you're ready to drop off the grid and move to a log cabin in the wilderness. What you can do is try consuming tech mindfully.”

My favorite tip was to turn your phone’s display to greyscale, which I did after reading this post. You can read the full article HERE


No comments: