Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Thoughts on a Librarian's Parental Leave

Image by Andrea Don from Pixabay
In a recent ALSC blog post, librarian and new parent Claire Laitman, writes about how using the library as a new mom deepened her understanding of great service for parents of babies.

Claire writes: "People say you can’t be truly prepared for parenthood, but as a librarian, I have to admit I felt pretty ready to have a baby. I had read all the books, spent countless hours on the children’s floor and had a strong sense that I’d find my way. But when my daughter was born, I suddenly felt immersed in a new world where the parts of myself I could normally rely on were suddenly out of grasp. My mind, normally sharp and analytical, felt scattered and hazy. My confidence that I could figure most things out was replaced by a lingering imposter feeling. Despite my fears of taking her out of our safe apartment and into the world, the expanse of time ahead of us was even more daunting, so I decided to take my baby to see my happy place. On a cold morning in January, I bundled us up and off we went to our local library. This outing became an anchor of our early time together, and allowed me enjoy the library in a whole new way. Here are a few of my experiences and the discoveries and ideas that came out of my library visits in this new patron role as a first-time parent."

To read her thoughtful insights on experiencing library programs, service and communication through the lens of a new parent, please stop here. [Takeaways from a Librarian on Parental Leave. Laitman, Claire. ALSC blog. August 30, 2024.]

No comments: