An up-to-date spot for librarians around Wisconsin to find relevant news, events, and resources.
Any YSS member wishing to write posts, please e-mail Aimee Schreiber at a (dot)schreiber (at)wrlsweb (dot)org. Users may post comments about posts. Please refrain from posting any personal information.
Tuesday, April 5, 2016
YSS Board Meeting Minutes from March 10, 2016
Here are the minutes from the most recent YSS Board meeting. This is what is happening behind the scenes when your board gets together. Also, you're invited to the Youth Services Section (YSS) Membership Meeting/Meet and Greet at WAPL 2016 on Thursday, May 12 from 5:30 to 7:00 pm to learn
about what the Youth Services Section is up to, meet fellow members and
board members, and share your ideas of things you'd like to see us do! Prospective and new members welcome, too.
10, 2016 12:30
YSS advocates for professional
empowerment, collaboration, and innovative, inclusive, and intentional service.
asked for a motion to approve. Katherine motioned, Terry second. Agenda was
Powerhouse Presents report
and Katherine will be giving a webinar on changing children’s collections April
1st (IFLS is sponsoring)
·On May 9 from 10-11 am, NWLS is hosting
Transitions and Transformations with Sharon Grover, Dawn Wacek and Sue
there are two more in fall. One is set the other Ashley T-M will be working on
general discussion about YSS Powerhouse Presents webinars
Literacy Calendar report
people have committed to contribute to the Early Literacy Calendar.
will be a blog post follow up to request more contributors. Tips are due May
will be a direct email sent to SOIS and SLIS about having students join
lists, job descriptions and plans
Ashley, Terry and Marge will meet to go over these documents and revise as
Board will discuss and final drafts will be uploaded to the Dropbox.
will be the contact point for all program proposals. All proposals will be
submitted by the Unit Reps.There will
be a Google Form for this.
are considering ways to promote the books by the author coming to the YSS
Luncheon (Bill Konigsburg) and to promote the winners of the Burr/Worzolla
Children’s Book Award, with some virtual stuff before the conference and/or
in-person discussions at the conference.
Pre-Conference Committee report/update
Tessa and Kelsey are working on an outline for the preconference.
are thinking of using a “TED” talk format for the presentations, followed by
discussion and a take away activity.
librarians responded to the survey and the top three most requested topics
included programming, embedded librarians and partnerships.
to the Teen Pre Conference, there would be a passive program display during the
snack break.The CCBC will also have a
display for school aged children.
price has not currently been set for the preconference.WLA recommended the 100% increase for
nonmembers. So if the cost is $20 for members it would be $40 for
Board Rep discussion
mentioned that there have been a few things related to the system redesign
process that have made her concerned that youth services issues still have the
potential to be forgotten and we need to consider this when thinking about
changing the way the WLA board representation is handled.
discussion regarding possible board representative nominees was held.
reminded everyone that she is planning on completing her term as board rep and
that this subject doesn’t need to be decided immediately; we have three years
to think it over and decide if and how we wanted to change the way the Board
Rep position works.
was some general discussion regarding the position and how it might be changed
and who the stakeholders are.Marge
suggested that this be a discussion at a board retreat.
discussion was tabled until the next meeting. This will be an ongoing topic of
discussion, but may not be discussed at every monthly meeting.
was added to the September agenda.
Welcome Wagon/Membership Committee
Wacek (current WAPL Chair)
suggested that this be done to welcome new librarians and help them get a
foothold and to recruit new members.
was held and it was emphasized that we are just at the beginning and will be
taking small steps to make this happen.
B. moved to adjourn and Kelsey seconded.The meeting was adjourned at 1:15 PM.