Friday, October 31, 2014

Easy Early Literacy Spaces, Part 2

This post brought to you by Holly Storck-Post, Youth Services Coordinator for Monroe Public Library. 


Desk Display


We used the front of our desk as display space when we were raising butterflies this summer, and I realized it was a great way to get kids and families looking at a display.


The first day that we had the alphabet up, and a toddler was walking up to the desk with his mother and exclaimed, “Mama, sing my abc’s!”



The READ posters were fun because the kids would look from us, to the poster, and back, and try to figure out what they were seeing!



The emotions idea came from here, and it has had a good response. One kid only wanted to name the “positive” emotions (happy, excited, sleepy) and wouldn’t mention the “bad” once (sad, angry, scared). Luckily, he was joined by a parent who picked up on that and talked about it with him.


More Spaces!

These footprints grew out of a desire to fill and empty spot and having something for the slightly older kids to do while a parent was busy with a younger sibling. We are on our second set of footprints, since even laminated footprints get pretty worn out after being stepped on that many times! I was also surprised to find that they get rearranged quite often. One day I came in to find they had turned a corner!




My staff member got the ideas for both our stairs and bathroom from Hennepin County. Again, I added Spanish to the stairs, and we hear the kids coming up and counting on a daily basis. This is one of the additions that I have gotten the most compliments on from community members.






The library I worked at as a page in library school had a growth chart in front of the circ desk, and it was incredibly popular. Kids measured themselves and their families constantly, and I thought it would be a neat addition to our children’s room. We have a library wide mural on one of our walls, painted by a local artist, and I asked her to do the growth chart.



As I was putting up my five practices tips the other day, I realized the singing is something that we do a TON of in programming and less so in the children’s room. Thus was born our “song of the week” station. I put it up on a day I worked alone, and then asked my staff to pretty please play along and sing if anyone asked them. So far I’ve definitely seen parents reading the sign, and the images match my song cube that I take to daycare storytimes, so some kids might start to recognize that!



Check out Easy Early Literacy Spaces, Part 1 for more ideas!

No comments: