Monday, June 15, 2020

"Creating Community Fun" Programs - Going the Extra Mile

Today's guest post is from Children's Librarian Annette Miller at the Tomohawk (WI) Public Library 



I want to share how reaching out and making connections can lead to something a little extra-special.  

I had been struggling with how to provide programming during the pandemic and library closure and wanted to be sure about how to move forward before just jumping into a virtual storytime just for the sake of doing so.  I really miss the kids and families and I wanted to find a way to connect with them and provide an activity, but not just virtually.  

In late April,  I came across a Facebook post (in Storytime Underground) by Tanya Savitsky of the Ringtown Area (PA) Library.  She had placed "green sheep" all around her community because she loves the book "Where is Green Sheep?" by Mem Fox. She wanted to give the families something to do during this time.  I loved the idea but want to develop it a bit more.  I emailed her to ask a few questions She was so excited that her program had made its way to northern Wisconsin!  

I decided that I would choose a book to read on Facebook live and then add the non-virtual component of placing something out in the community to look for after the story.  I chose the book "Dragon was Terrible" by Kelly DiPucchio and Greg Pizzoli.  It's such a fun book and a wonderful tie-in with the summer library theme, too.  This program will be kind of a kick-off to our summer program.  

Next, I wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something illegal, so I just thought I would email Kelly DiPucchio to ask her permission to use the book and make copies of the dragon and see what happened.  She emailed me back right away and was so excited and so kind!  She also told me that she felt there wouldn't be an issue with the publisher because of the changes that have taken place during this time. Her only request was that I contact the illustrator, Greg Pizzoli.  After all, he did create the dragon.  

Well, he was just as excited and just as kind!  They both want me to share pictures after the event!  Now that I had those connections made, I went to City Hall to be sure there were no ordinances against putting the dragons out.  I want to place them primarily on city property where families can easily walk to find them and to promote these areas of the city as well.  They were fine with it (one will be placed near City Hall of course!).  

The final connection was when I shared the story on Facebook live and invited families or anyone who wants to go out and search for the dragons.  I am encouraging them to share pictures to our Facebook page.  In all these years (18 today!) I have never thought to email an author to simply ask a question.  It's just a great example of what reaching out can do and what connections will be created as a result.  We'll see what happens next week!  Like I said at the beginning, the reason I wanted to share this is because I hope it will inspire others to take a chance and reach out!

No comments: